Taking your pet abroad

More people are deciding to take their pets on holiday abroad with them rather than leaving them at home or in kennels. Most owners elect to take their pets to European destinations where travel via car is the easiest option. For all European travel pets require a pet passport to be issued and must adhere to the most recent European guidelines for travel. All of our veterinary surgeons have undergone advanced training (Official Veterinarians) which allows them to issue pet passports and export certificates for travel on the behalf of the government. What’s more, now you can get the approval you need from the comfort of your home.

Pet Passport Requirements

Currently, the following requirements apply for the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS):

  • Each animal must have a working microchip implanted prior to issuing of the passport.
  • A rabies vaccination must be given.
  • You must wait for 21 days after the rabies vaccination before traveling.
  • A pet passport must be issued.
  • A Certified veterinary surgeon must administer a tapeworm treatment to your dog no less than 24 hours and no greater than 120 hours prior to re-entry into the UK.

Be sure to check the government website well in advance of your travel arrangements as the laws are often changing and it is your responsibility to ensure you are informed of the requirements. 

Travel Outside the EU

Requirements for travel to the rest of the world with your pets vary greatly, rest assured our vets are experienced in exporting pets and can provide you with access to the information you need and the protocols you need to follow.

      Areas covered include: Lymm, Hale, Bowdon, Wilmslow, Holmes Chapel, Mobberley and Alderley Edge.